A few days ago, we started having winrpe issues, and being the windows expert I am (I prefer linux), I decided that the easiest way to resolve this was to uninstall and re-install winrpe.
I uinstalled, deleted the users, and then reinstalled the latest version. I installed winrpe 4.2.0, and then 4.2.0_fullSSL
It wasn't until the second installation (fullSSL) I started to track down where the problem was.
When I run check_nrpe from my linux icinga host, I get this error:
CHECK_NRPE: Error - Could not complete SSL handshake.
On the windows machine, xinetd loads fine (in the event log) but each time I make a check_nrpe request I get this error in the event log:
xinetd: PID 2852: setuid failed: Operation not permitted (errno = 1)
I tried to resolve this by adding SvcXinet to an administrative group, but that doesn't seem to help.
So it seems like somehow, xinetd is starting, and then I'm not sure if it waits to start nrpe until it gets a request (and then nrpe can't run for whatever reason) or if nrpe is already running, but the check command can't be run. I'm honestly not sure.
Also it looks like it stripped my formatting again :(