I have been using CopSSH for the last few major versions without problem. I recently discovered the windows user sshd was disabled and belong to no groups. I thought it was an account left over from previous installations and testing, so I removed it. Now CopSSH will not authenticate and the service shuts down automatically with the error "Privilege separation user sshd does not exist" in sshd-stderr.log.
I realize that the obvious fix is to re-create the sshd account, but that seems pointless and messy. Before I just blindly fix it, could some please answer these questions?
1. Is the sshd user account really necessary, especially if I found it completely disabled? (Apparently, CopSSH works without it being disabled.)
2. How does the sshd user account differ from the SvcCOPSSH account?
3. Does Privilege separation user even work in CopSSH?
4. If so, how can I correctly configure Privilege separation user to work properly?
5. How can I verify Privilege separation user is working?